AND THE GOURMET CAPITAL OF THE WORLD TITLE GOES TO…
Ever wondered which city had the most Michelin stars?
* Drumroll *…. It’s Tokyo.
You know a city is worth visiting when it’s been crowned the gourmet capital for eight years straight by the Michelin guide. 226 of the Japanese capital’s restaurants have gained stars this year –25 of which for the first time– with 12 *** restaurants, 53** and 161*. UNESCO has even listed the traditional Japanese cuisine (“washoku”) as a cultural heritage, so get your ass there now.
Here are the 12 best Tokyo-based restaurants according to the 2015 Michelin guide – (Joël Robuchon and Quintessence are the only two serving non-Japanese food)
1. Esaki – Modern Japanese Cuisine
2. Ishikawa – Japanese Cuisine
3. Joel Robuchon – Modern French Cuisine
4. Kanda – Japanese Cuisine
5. Makimura – Japanese Cuisine *up from two stars last year
6. Quintessence – Modern French Cuisine
7. Ryugin – Modern Japanese Cuisine
8. Saito –sushi
9. Sukiyabashi Jiro Honten – Sushi (Obama had dinner here in April 2014) Watch Jiro Dreams Of Sushi, an amazing documentary on the head-chef/founder and his restaurant
10. Usukifugu Yamadaya – specialized in Fugu fish, which can be fatal if not prepared correctly.
11. Yoshitake – Sushi
12. Yukimura – Japanese Cuisine